Hwy 61 Resurfacing
- This project will resurface Hwy 61 and replace the traffic signal, at Buffalo Street
- Hwy 61 from Hwy 96 in White Bear Lake to Hwy 97 (210 Street North) in Forest Lake
- Construction start: July 9, 2012
- Construction ends: late - October 2012
- $4.5 million
This project will replace the roadway surface on about twelve miles of Hwy 61. The new surface should last about 25 to 30 years.
- July 27-August 12: Motorists will see no major traffic impacts
- Week of August 13: Hwy 61 through traffic will be detoured to 35E as crews replace a culvert just north of Meehan Drive. This is the last culvert replacement requiring a detour. The final two culverts will be replaced under traffic Access to local residences and businesses will be maintained. See map for detours details.
- Resurfacing Hwy 61 under pilot car operation with bituminous to provide a smoother ride,
- Replacing traffic signal at Buffalo Street and adding aflashing yellow arrow signal to improve safety
- Replacing six centerline culverts and making additional drainage improvements
- Installing centerline and shoulder rumble strips to improve safety
- Relocating signal poles at Headwater Parkway
- Eliminating the crosswalk across the south side of Hwy 61 approach
- Print project summary (PDF, 75 KB)